Guyana is located on the Northern coast of South America, bordered to the east by Suriname, to the west by Venezuela, and to south by Brazil. Guyana covers 214, 970 square kilometers/ (83,000 square miles), and has a population of approximately 770,000 people. Guyana, often referred to as the "Land of Many Waters", was initially a Dutch colony, later briefly governerd by the French, and finally thoroughly colonized by the British. Prior to Guyana achieveing independence from the British on May, 26, 1966, the country was known as British Guiana; Guyana became a republic on February 23, 1970. Guyana is the only state of the Commonwealth of Nations on mainland South America, and is also a member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), which has its secretariat headquarters in Guyana's capital, Georgetown. Culturally, Guyana shares many similarites, practices and traditions with its CARICOM member countries.
Passport is required
Passport Exemptions: Holders of a seaman book, provided travelling on duty: not applicable to nationals of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, China (People’s Rep.), Cuba, Czech Republic, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Korea ( Democratic People’s Republic of) Kyrgyzstan, Moldova(Rep. of), Mongolia, Montenegro ( Rep. of), Poland, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia (Rep. of), Slovak Rep., Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan or Vietnam.
Document Validity: Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid at least 6 months beyond the period of the intended stay.
Nationals of Guyana may enter with passport valid on arrival.
Crew Members : Same regulations as for passengers apply.
Military : Same regulations as for passengers apply.
Visa is required
- Nationals of Guyana
- Holders of a residence/ Re-entry permit issued by Guyana to alien residents.
- A stay of max. 3 months:
- For nationals of Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Dominica, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Ireland(Rep. of) , Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of) Korea (Rep.) Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, St. Kitts - Nevis, St. Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad & Tobago or the USA
- For the holders of British passports endorsed “British Citizen”
- Nationals of Cuba holding diplomatic, official or service passports.
- A max. stay of 3 months, nationals of China (People’s Rep.) holding diplomatic service, or official passports or passports endorsed for “public affairs”.
- A max. stay of 90 days :
- For nationals of Columbia, India and Mexico holding diplomatic or official passports.
- For nationals of Russian Fed. holding diplomatic or Service passports.
6.3 for nationals of Peru holding diplomatic, official, service or special passports.
- Those who can prove with e.g. a passport or birth certificate that they were born in Guyana.
Transit Without Visa (TWOV):
- Those continuing their journey within 7 hours by the same or first connecting aircraft, without leaving the airport.
- Not applicable to nationals of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, China (People’s Rep.), Cuba, Czech Republic, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova )Republic of) Mongolia, Montenegro ( Rep. of), Poland, Romania, Russian Fed. , Serbia (Rep. of), Slovak Rep., Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan or Vietnam.
- Those continuing their journey to a third country by the same aircraft without leaving the airport.
- Visa is not required for merchant seamen if their nationality is mentioned under visa exemption applicable to normal passport holders.
- Visa is not required if being an alien resident of Guyana and holding proof there of.
- Visa is not required for merchant seamen born in Guyana
- Merchant seamen arriving by air in order to board a ship, or if arriving by ship in order to board an aircraft must travel on duty and hold a letter of guarantee from the shipping company
Crew members: Same regulations as for passengers apply.
Military: Same regulations as for passengers apply.
- Prior to arrival: if required, a visa can be obtained at a diplomatic representation of Guyana in Belgium ( Brussels), Brazil ( Brasilia), Canada( Ottawa & Toronto), China (People’s Rep), ( Beijing) , Cuba (Havana), India ( New Delhi), Suriname (Paramaribo), United Kingdom ( London), U.S.A ( New York & Washington) or Venezuela (Caracas)
- On Arrival: Only if being in transit in Guyana in emergency cases and with approval of Ministry of Home Affairs.
- On Arrival: If required, transit visa available to nationals of Czech Rep. and of Slovak Rep., provided prior advice is received.
Additional Information: All visa exempt visitors must hold tickets and documents for their return or onward journey together with sufficient funds for their maintenance whilst in the country. Otherwise they may be required to make a deposit varying according to the country of their origin. This requirement is not applicable to passengers holding return or onward tickets.
Minors: In case minors of foreign nationality are born abroad but their parents are national of Guyana, A visa is not required provided they hold a birth certificate or parent’s passport which must be shown on arrival. A person is considered a minor up to 18 years old.
Yellow Fever: Vaccination required, if arriving within 6 days after leaving or transiting countries with infected areas and in AFRICA: Angola, Benin (Rep.), Burkina, Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo ( Brazzaville), Congo (Kinshasa), Cote d’Ivoire, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea (Rep.), Guinea – Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali , Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao, Tome, & Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Tanzania, Togo, or Uganda;
In AMERICA: Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela.
Persons without valid yellow fever certificate - if required- will not be allowed to disembark.
Exempt from Yellow Fever vaccination:
- Those not leaving the airport in the countries concerned.
- Transit passengers continuing their journey by the same aircraft and not leaving the airport.
Recommended:- Vaccination against yellow fever for all other passengers visiting any area outside the main cities in Guyana; - Malaria prophylaxis. Malaria risk P. Falciparum (47%), P. Vivax (53%) – is high throughout the year in all parts of the interior. Sporadic cases of malaria have been reported from the densely populated coastal belt. Chloroquine - resistant P. Falciparum reported. Recommended prevention in risk areas: IV
Notes: Not required for those not leaving the airport in the countries concerned.
Embarkation Tax is levied on passengers embarking in Guyana for destinations abroad: GYD 4000 (equivalent in USD is also accepted)
Place of payment: Airport of departure in Guyana or airline offices in Georgetown.
- Transit passengers remaining in Guyana for a period not exceeding 48 hours.
- Children under 7 years of age.
- Official representatives of the government of any country and UN Officials, their wives and children under 21 years of age.
- Members of armed forces of Guyana travelling on duty.
Import: Free Import by persons of 16 years of age and over:
- 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or ½ pound of tobacco;
- 1/6 gallon of wine and 1/6 gallon of spirits;
- a reasonable quantity of perfume for personal use. If more is imported, duty has to be paid on the entire quantity.
Additional Information: Guyana is a member of the CITES Treaty
Pets:Cats and dogs require an import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture, P.O Box 1001, Georgetown and Health Certificate issued by competent authorities in country of origin, stating that animal was vaccinated against rabies less than one year but at least 30 days prior to arrival in Guyana. Animals will be quarantined for 90 days unless arriving from the following countries: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Barbados, Dominica, Ireland, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, United Kingdom, and Northern Ireland.
Baggage Clearance: Baggage is cleared at the first airport of entry in Guyana.
Exempt: Baggage of transit passengers with a destination outside of Guyana.
Import: Foreign currencies: unlimited, however written declaration for amounts USD 10,000.00 and above in cash or other monetary instruments, or USD 10,000.00 equivalent in other currencies.
Export: Foreign currencies: written declaration for amounts from USD10,000.00 in cash or other monetary instruments & above or USD 10,000.00 equivalent in other currencies.